La Junta Chapter NSDAR was organized November 24, 1913. Harriet Bragg was the first chapter regent and was regent for seven years. The chapter’s geographic area includes Fowler, Rocky Ford, La Junta, and Las Animas (Otero and Bent counties). The site of Bent’s Old Fort was maintained by the chapter for years which included the building of the stone gateway at the original entrance to the roadway leading to the fort. The chapter owned the site of the fort from February 8, 1926, to June 14, 1954, when the land was deeded to the State of Colorado for the use and benefit of the State Historical Society for the sum of $1.00. Later it was sold to the United States for $1.00 on June 3, 1960, and became a part of the National Park Service.
Bent’s Old Fort Gate
June 14, 1930
The content contained herein does not necessarily represent the position of the NSDAR. Hyperlinks to other sites are not the responsibility of the NSDAR, the state organizations, or individual DAR chapters. Membership inquiries can be made using our Contact Us form. This website was last updated on February 11, 2020, by the webmaster. Unless noted, photos courtesy of chapter members.